island air service
was built around 1900 at the site of an earlier structure. A post office was established in 1933. Residents of nearby Kaguyak relocated to Akhiok after the 1964 earthquake and tsunami destroyed their village. The City was incorporated in 1972.
Island Air Service is proud to fly into the following communities:
Port Lions, Ouzinkie, Old Harbor and Larsen Bay extending to
Karluk six days a week
fish processing. The 1964 earthquake and subsequent tidal wave virtually leveled downtown Kodiak. The fishing fleet, processing plant, canneries, and 158 homes were destroyed - $30 million in damage. The infrastructure was rebuilt, and by 1968, Kodiak had become the largest fishing port in the U.S., in terms of dollar value.
Today, the Port of Kodiak is "homeport" to 770 commercial fishing vessels. Not only is Kodiak the state's largest fishing port, it is also home to some of Alaska's largest trawl, longline, and crab vessels. Kodiak is also a thriving business community. It is a transportation hub for southwest Alaska, and home of the largest U.S. Coast Guard base in the country. Kodiak is also home to the first non-federal satellite launch complex in the United States.
Located on Alitak Bay, Akhiok is surrounded by the low hills and rolling flat lands common to the south end of Kodiak Island. The Ayakulik River, just north of the village, is well-known for its exceptional king salmon run. Akhiok is an Alutiiq village dependent upon fishing and subsistence activities. The original village of Kashukugniut was occupied by Russians in the early 19th century. The community was originally a sea otter hunting settlement, located at Humpy Cove. The name Akhiok was reported in the 1880 Census. In 1881, residents relocated to the present site at Alitak Bay. The relocation was, in part, based on the switch to a fishing economy. Most families gain their livelihood from fishing, either directly by fishing for salmon and halibut or by working in a near-by cannery. The community's Russian Orthodox church, Protection of the Theotokos Chapel,
Sitka spruce, cottonwood, birch, alder and willow trees cover the mountainous terrain around Port Lions, on Kizhuyak Bay. Located at the north end of Kodiak Island, the city was established after the tsunami of 1964 partially destroyed Afognak village on Afognak Island. The community was named in honor of Lions Club International, the service group that helped relocate and build the new village. Several lodges and charter services offer access to the stunning scenery, fishing, hunting and wildlife viewing throughout Kizhuyak Bay and the surrounding area.
Nestled along the sheltered waters of Sitkalidak Strait, Old Harbor or Nuniaq as it called in the indigenous Alutiiq language, is on the southeast coast of Kodiak Island. Tall peaks serve as a dramatic backdrop for the city, which faces Sitkalidak Island. Sitkalidak Island has the largest population of puffins on the Kodiak Island Archipelago. Old Harbor boasts having the only glacier on Kodiak Island.
Ouzinkie is located on the southwest shore of Spruce Island. It is characterized by swampy areas, volcanic and sedimentary rock and an abundance of tall spruce trees. Ouzinkie was founded in the early 1800s by the Russian American Company as a retirement community. The Church of the Nativity, built in 1898, is tucked in a cove of spruce trees. Ouzinkie was home to St. Herman, the first canonized Russian Orthodox saint in North America. St. Herman's chapel is located at Monks Lagoon and can be explored with the local Russian Orthodox Church reader who explains the history of the holy sites and old grave stones.
Situated in a scenic valley on a narrow fjord, Larsen Bay is a hub of commercial and sport fishing activity on Kodiak Island's west coast. The area is thought to have been inhabited for at least 2,000 years. Hundreds of artifacts have been uncovered in the area. Russian fur traders frequented the Island in the mid-1700s. The bay was named for Peter Larsen, an Unga Island furrier, hunter and guide. In the early 1800s, there was a tannery in Uyak Bay. The present-day Natives are Alutiiq (Russian-Aleuts). Alaska Packers Association built a cannery in the village in 1911. The City was incorporated in 1974. Area lodges lure anglers from around the world for some of the best fishing in the archipelago.
canneries to close in the late 1930s. After a severe storm in January 1978, the village council decided to relocate the community to the present site, upstream on the south side of the lagoon. For anglers, Karluk means world-class sport fishing. Several lodges and cabins are available, or you can float the river.
Located right across the parking lot from the Alaska Air / ERA terminal, Island Air is the easiest connection you will ever make! Our cargo team will pick up your luggage, guns and cargo, while you relax in our comfy lobby or enjoy a coffee /espresso drink in Gear Up, our onsite coffee shop.
Need a last minute ride to town before heading out to the village? Ask our front desk about our convenience van and delivery service for Island Air clients. Let us do the work for you! We make flying Kodiak Island a breeze!
On Kodiak's southwest coast, the city of Karluk sits astride the Karluk River. The landscape is characterized by low-lying mountains cut by rivers and streams. More than thirty registered archaeological sites along the Karluk River continue to render more evidence of the area's original inhabitants. The mouth of the Karluk River is thought to have been populated by Natives for more than 7,000 years. Russian hunters established a trading post here in 1786. At that time, the village was located on both sides of the Karluk River, in the area of Karluk Lagoon. Between 1790 and 1850, many tanneries, salteries and canneries were established in the area. By 1900, Karluk was known for having the largest cannery and the greatest salmon stream in the world. A post office was established in 1892. In the early 1900s, canneries were constructed by the Alaska Packers Association. Over-fishing of the area forced the
Kodiak is located near the eastern tip of Kodiak Island in the Gulf of Alaska. Alexander Baranov, a Russian fur trapper, established a settlement at Chiniak Bay, the site of present-day Kodiak in 1792. At that time, there were over 6,500 Sugpiaqs (Koniags) in the area and the Island was called "Kikhtak." It later was known as "Kadiak," the Inuit word for island. Kodiak became the first capital of Russian Alaska until Alaska became a U.S. Territory in 1867.
The "Town of Kodiak" was incorporated in 1940. During the Aleutian Campaign of World War II, the Navy and the Army built bases on the Island. Fort Abercrombie was constructed in 1939, and later became the first secret radar installation in Alaska. Development continued, and the 1960s brought growth in commercial fisheries and